Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Elric of Melnibone

This short is pathetic and entirely fails to capture the character.  Yes, Elric is albino but he isn't buff.  He's rather skinny and sickly.  Prior to getting Stormbringer - which imbues him with strength and stamina - he used all sorts of medicinal herbs to overcome his various ailments.  Also, Stormbringer is a black sword, not noted for its mirror shine.  I have no idea what this scene is supposed to represent.  I read the original story arc and some of the later novels that Moorcock probably shouldn't have written and do not recognize this.
Elric and his soul-sucking black sword, Stormbringer, are such iconic and famous characters that I am astonished that this is the only live-action Elric I have found.  With all the fantasy characters who have made it to film, I am baffled that Elric hasn't made a splash.

No comments:

Post a Comment